.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} >
 

Happy 4th of July

The Nationals lost 5-2 to the New York Mets, and I'll write about their game tomorrow morning. But tonight is fireworks night, the exclamation point of the 4th of July, and, if only for this one day, baseball must take a back seat.

I am an American by luck, not by birth. My family came to this country from Lebanon in 1959. I often think of what my life might have been like had my parents stayed in Beirut and lived through the civil war that killed more than a million people. I am so very grateful that America embraced me like it has embraced so many other over the past two centuries. I have tried to pay America back. I served my country in the military. I have returned to school to obtain my teaching degree so I can help the next generation appreciate the greatness of this land. No, America isn't perfect, but our system is designed so that those imperfections can be corrected by the will of the people. I have lived in 13 other countries and spent considerable time in another 25 or so. Let's never stop pointing out America's deficincies, but it's important to understand how the rest of the world lives before attacking the United States. And for the most part, the rest of the world would love to have our system of government.

Happy 4th of July to all of you.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?